Thursday, April 15, 2021

The Power To Love

 August 3rd, 2013

The "best man speech" for my brother, Brian:

As most of you know, Brian’s got quite a personality, growing up with him wasn’t always super easy. By that I mean physically growing up, as he would lie on top of me so I couldn’t get up, head butt me with his giant “cement head”, and make sure I would never be any good at basketball by deflecting all of my shots into the street.

Eventually he moved from pushing my limits, to pushing the limits of gravity. And by this I mean second-story jumps from our roof to the pool, back-flipping off our trampoline, and in the process breaking pretty much every part of his body. After enough visits to the emergency room, Mom and Dad’s insurance plan actually gave him a frequent flyer card. (No, that’s actually true).

And then Brian discovered boarding… a way to put his life at risk AND impress people at the same time… especially this beautiful girl named HEATHER. She was someone who immediately shared his excitement for pretty much everything, and that kept him in line. She provided the care & support to calm his wild side… just a little bit. And Brian finally had someone to bandage his road rash so other than my Mom.

When I think about what’s really important in this life, it comes down to two things: to do what you love, and to live sustainably. And it sure isn’t easy without a foundation, one rooted in family, friends, and especially a partner. Someone to enjoy the ride with, to navigate the twists and turns of the road, to enjoy the highs, and to tough out the lows. Heather, to me you have been a beacon of light for my Brian, and I couldn’t imagine a better wife for him, and someone I’m really excited to call my sistah.

You both have the power of compassion, the power to love, to forgive, and the ability to find enjoyment in whatever is going on. I love you both!


No comments:

Post a Comment